1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Tips

Discussion in 'Minecraft Guides' started by JaiGuru, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JaiGuru

JaiGuru Active Miner

This thread is going to be an ongoing, multipurpose guide that will cover a broad range of categories aimed at helping newer players build their dream structures. I want to be clear that the contents of this thread do not represent objective facts. This is not an attempt to outline the "right" way to build, nor is it presented as being authoritative. It is a way to build, one of many. I have a lot of growing left to do myself! I'm simply presenting what I've learned about building, as I've learned it, and as it applies to my particular style. Hopefully this will help you develop your own unique style of building.

Without further adieu, my first post will be on a super exciting topic that all your friends are talking about: Walls! Everyone's got 'em, but not everyone's happy with them. I'm going to show you an example of how to add depth and detail to your walls which will allow the textures and shapes in Minecraft to do the heavy lifting for you.

The problem is that so many people's walls look like this.

[​IMG]

Sure it's got a nice border and it's not a bad selection of materials which contrast but also compliment each other. But it's also flat. To remedy this we want to think a little about the parts of a wall. Walls aren't just the outer paneling we put on them. They're a frame work which is filled in, buttressed and braced to stand the test of time.

Let's look at framework first. You may be tempted to try something like this.

[​IMG]

This is better. The beams break up the face of the wall nicely. But this is still very flat. What you want to do is move your beams out by one, letting them stand out and create lots of depth, like this:

[​IMG]

Now we're getting somewhere! Keep in mind that in old beam construction, the ceiling joists laid across the wall beams, resting on them. They often jutted out on the exterior. Try adding these joists to your structure and see how much more depth they add:

[​IMG]

Now keep in mind, the vertical beams were often braced at the ground by struts to help spread out the weight of the structure. Stylistically, we have a need to tie the structure to the ground in a way that transitions smoothly instead of just goings straight down to the grass. Struts can help us do just that. I suggest you use stone or cobble to mix up the texture a little bit, but any option that helps tie in other elements of the house would be good too. This is just one example of how you could set them up, so be creative:

[​IMG]

Finally, we add some decoration. You could maybe brace the joists sticking out of the wall with upside down stairs. You could use stairs to create arches or frame window openings. You can also use them to fully line the bottom of your wall so that you have a totally smooth transition. Between each beam I've set it up a little differently to give you some ideas. Obviously, you want to be fairly consistent with your choices.

[​IMG]

So there you have it. In a single post we've gone from a flat, boring wall to something that has depth, uses Minecraft's textures to create detail that is size-appropriate to your structure, and which will set your build apart from those of others.

Again, be creative! Try different types of wood and stone. Mix and match the log colors with the wood plank colors. See if you can create a modern variant on my medieval style. Always be thinking about layering, and how to transition from a flat surface to one with nooks and crannies. Don't be afraid to try something and then decide to remove stuff to try another approach. Good building does take time, but leaves you with structures yo will enjoy so much more as you tend to the business you've set yourself to on your property.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Mariana likes this.
  2. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Administrator Staff Member

JaiGuru this thread is amazing. And I made it a featured thread on the blog page. And as soon as I can I am going to port it to the blog as a post. It's a feature that they are going to add to the wordpress bridge soon. Please keep up the amazing posts that you're making on the forum. You impress me more and more everyday. :)

JaiGuru likes this.
  3. Mariana

Mariana Master Miner

Wow! I love this thread, we need more. I am an experienced player myself but you have presented the way of building a more complex wall frames really well. It is very easy to understand and the added pictures are perfect to clearly see what a big difference building ''correctly'' can do.

I am impressed just like @Soulwatcher is :) can't wait to see more.

I truly wish that I could give you more than a big thumbs up and a like!

JaiGuru likes this.
  4. JaiGuru

JaiGuru Active Miner

That's really good to hear, actually! It's what I was going for. A lot of times people look at more complex builds and feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff going on. But when you break it down into bits people can see most of it is actually a pretty simple methodology that can be applied to their own builds and shaped to fit their own styles. I'm working on a roof tutorial for the next one so that'll be coming shortly!

5. airfightermax

airfightermax New Miner

****, this is really nice! When I build a house on my world, it's very generic and very unappealing to the point that I just live in villager's houses when I see one :D

Will definitely try this out later on Pocket Edition! I never really considered using the staircase for design! Really well done :)

JaiGuru likes this.
  6. wallet

wallet Master Miner

Hi, JayGuru your topic is great, full of ideas and purpose! My house in Minecraft is not that good as yours, I like the design you choose and the structure seem to be very powerful. Keep working, you are doing a great job!

JaiGuru likes this.
  7. daniela perez

daniela perez New Miner

Oh my ****! How great are that structures! You're definitely pro with Minecraft. I look at this structures and then look at the structures I have been able to build and it makes me sad lol (kidding) How many years playing Minecraft it took you to learn how to build this? My two months playing it haven't been so productive!

JaiGuru likes this.
  8. JaiGuru

JaiGuru Active Miner

Guide Post # 2: Roofs!

There is more to talk about with roofing than maybe with any other aspect of building design. While living space is usually just some variant on a box, there are endless shapes and aesthetics to take into consideration with the roof. For many it is the defining trait of their structure. With all of that freedom also comes difficulty. Since there is so much to consider, I'm going to break it down into a few elementary parts for the next few posts. As for this time, we're going to look at eves.

Eves may sound like a small thing, but they are a great way to add detail that follows through with the theme of layering that we explored a little in the last post. Often in Minecraft the difference between okay and great is something small which adds an element of believability to your build. By thinking a little bit about the overhangs of our roofing we can add more depth to our build. Let's take a look! Here I have a finished-off basic living space that uses the principals we learned last post:

[​IMG]

-----​

From here, many will try to builds a roof as shown below. Notice how the lowest level of it, and the pointed side, is flush with the wall of the house. This makes your structure appear boxy. Even if your house literally is a simple box like this one, we can add a lot more to it.

[​IMG]

-----​

What you want to do is make sure that the first level of your roof, where it connects to the top of your house, is at least one block away from your wall so it hangs over the side. Notice I've removed the jutting exterior portions of the ceiling joists so you can see this better as they were partially obscuring the effect. As your build may not even have these I wanted you to be able to see it clearly. Also notice that the flat face of the house has an overhang now too!

[​IMG]

-----​

This alone is a good start, but from here there are a few easy ways of making your roof look less blocky. The first way is to simply put upside down stairs under the overhang! This works very well for smaller houses where you want to keep the size of the roof from becoming disproportionately large. Notice that I've put a forward facing upside down stair at the top-most center part of the roof where the two sides meet. You may or may not have to do this. In general you need to decide before you lay your first block whether this side of your structure is going to be an even number of blocks or an odd number. If it's odd, you'll have this top-most part. If it's even then the two sides will meet flush and you wont have that space to fill. I prefer odd numbered sides because it allows you to center things a little easier and lends itself to ornamentation.

[​IMG]

-----​

The second thing you can do, which will look better on larger builds than smaller, is just like the first except you extend the top layer of stairs out by one. Your roof will now jut out two blocks from the wall and give a layered appearance. This is my favorite way of doing this for simpler roofs like this as it really adds shape and depth to the structure.

[​IMG]

-----​

So you can see how a little attention to the overhang can really make your build pop, even if it is a smaller, simpler house such our demonstration model! I'm going to wrap this post up here, but next time we will look at a more complex style of roof building which will provide a more spectacular appearance.

See you soon!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    fireball916 and Soulwatcher like this.
  9. Soulwatcher

Looks awesome JaiGuru, thank you so much for a wonderful guide. Keep up the guides coming, I always look forward to every post that you make. :)

JaiGuru likes this.
  10. fireball916

fireball916 New Miner

I'm looking forward more of your roof guides! I always have trouble making decent looking roofs, I always make them really boxy and odd looking.

JaiGuru and Soulwatcher like this.
  11. airfightermax

airfightermax New Miner

Wow, you can even make roofs look that nice? What sorcery is this?

Just kidding haha seriously though all your stuff looks great. My roof in my builds are those simple flat roof. It really unappealing.

Will look forward to more of your work!

JaiGuru and Soulwatcher like this.
  12. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Miner

I like this guides, but my lack of self-confidence make me feel like I will never be able to top those. They are pretty good anyway, I might end up be really motivated after a while if I keep reading them! Maybe...

13. Soulwatcher

Xilkozuf the game is made to play the way you want to play it. Don't worry about playing the game to be the best at Minecraft. Play the game to the best of your ability and have fun with it. :)

Xilkozuf likes this.
  14. SpellBound

SpellBound Miner

Wowee this is a neat guide. Thanks a lot for this. It's just perfect for building a basic house for the first time. I've never thought about building one until I saw a beautiful house in another post here. So, I'm gonna start it right away. Hope it turns out good. Usually I just play around with the fake looking walls like in the first picture. This time I'm gonna build it awesome for sure :cool:

15. Kira

Kira Master Miner

Following! Awesome thread indeed. Such a good guide for people who are having hard time with their roofing jobs! Rofl! More please! :D

Soulwatcher likes this.
  16. jayveeborres

jayveeborres New Miner

Wow I love this structure. I wish I could build like that.

Soulwatcher likes this.